May 5, 2010

Easy-Peasy Lemon Squeezey Pasta

It's been FAR too long since I've posted a yummy recipe. I make up recipes as I go with what I have stocked in our fridge and pantry. Also, I cook by taste, so when I use measurements like handful, lil bit and scoop of a small spoon...try to be precise, ok? Okay.

Let's get going with it. {If I'm insanely confusing by my lack-luster explanation of my recipes, shoot me an email and I'll be happy to help and answer any questions - lmholo@gmail.com}

Whatcha Need:

3-4 garlic cloves (depending upon the size and how much you like garlic)
half small yellow onion chopped up
1 box rigatoni noodles
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
fresh, organic baby spinach leaves
1 large lemon
salt, pepper
freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
handful of thinly shredded mozarella cheese
white wine - I usually choose one I'd like to drink while I cook (hey, if you're opening a bottle to cook, you mine as well enjoy it right?) and it's ALWAYS from Trader Joe's

How to do it:

Begin boiling water to cook your rigatoni noodles in.

Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium low heat, add a few swigs (use swigs not tablespoons...try to be exact too) of EVOO. While it's heating up, cut up the 1/2 yellow onion. I chop mine up pretty small ever since Tommy got a huge onion chunk in his mouth and claimed he would never eat another onion again, but you may chop them however you'd like. Add this to the heated EVOO.

Once the onions start to look a bit transparent, add a little bit of white wine. I usually put enough to coat the bottom of the pan evenly...about a cm thick.

Next add the 3-4 cloves of garlic. I wait until after I add the wine so the garlic doesn't burn. You can either grate your garlic or use a garlic press. Your choice...tastes the same either way.

Next roll your lemon with the palm of your hand. This releases the juices in the lemon so you get more juice out of it. Cut the lemon in half and juice both halves of the lemon into the EVOO/garlic/onion/yummy wine juice. Leave this mixture on low medium heat while your noodles cook...it helps all the flavors blend together.

While you're waiting, grab a big (or small, depending on your love of spinach) handful of spinach. I use a lot because A. I love spinach and B. it's rich in antioxidants, folic acid and vitamins. Tear the stems off. Don't add it yet though...

After your pasta is cooked, add it to the other pot. I usually make a full pound of pasta because we eat leftovers but if leftovers are not your thing, just make half the box. Mix the pasta around and add a little bit more EVOO. You don't want to noodles to be totally coated so don't add a ton.

Next, add your handful of mozarella cheese, spinach leaves, salt and pepper. S+P are totally up to your taste. I tend to add less S and more P but that's just how we prefer to eat it.

After you add all the ingredients, stir for awhile until it's all warm and creamy (when the moz cheese melts...deliscious!)

Last step is to scoop it onto your plate, add some freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese to top it off and enjoy. I usually make steamed broccoli or fresh aspargus and a salad as our side dishes but you can easily eat it alone. It's healthy, light, fresh and full of great vitamins!

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos while I was cooking. Sorry! Next time, I promise.



Hope you enjoy!


Cheers,

Lynsey

2 comments:

Kathryn Rojas said...

I made this last night with chicken and it was delicious! Thanks for the great recipe! =)

Debra said...

I can't wait to try it...sounds delicious!


Labels

Contact

Email me at info@lt-photos.com

About This Blog

Novice photographer. Expert fashionista. Creative chef.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP