October 18, 2010

Check! #29 Train and Run a 10k

Last July, Tommy and I signed up for our first organized race, the Go! Halloween 10k. I had been running regularly at the point, 4-5 times a week, and felt really good about doing 6.2 miles. On September 1, I was in town and pulled over to the side of the road for an ambulance. A big Silverado truck came barreling through the intersection and didn't notice my car, or the van behind me and rammed his truck into the van and the van came into me. At a complete stop. My whole body thrusted forward and shortly afterwards I had extremely neck and back pain (que the sad trombone). I've been going to my chiropractor 3 times a week since then and have gotten drastically better but he said no running. No running at all. Because of the impact the accident had on my lower back he was worried that my feet pounding on the pavement would make the injury worse.

Well I am really bad at listening when I'm told I can't do something I want to do so I decided I would still run the 10k. I decided this the Tuesday before the race. Tuesday I ran for the first time in 5 weeks and stopped after 1.5 miles. Wednesday I did 2.5 and Thursday I ran 3.95. I took Friday and Saturday off from running and Saturday I was on my feet 9.5 hours shooting a wedding. Sunday morning I woke up sore. Oh my god was I sore! I still managed to get dressed, down an energy drink and run my little heart out. I went into the race with my only goal being to finish. At the time it felt it was a really ambitious goal but my amazing friends, Erica and Trisha, told me not to underestimate myself and that I would be fine. Well I was fine. So fine in fact that after mile 2, I decided my new goal would be to finish and to run the entire thing. No walking to grab a drink or up the hills (my god those hill will haunt my dreams)! Then at mile 3, I saw my the clock said 31 minutes. I started about 5 minutes after the clock start so I was super excited. I figured I was running about 8.5 minute miles. I was thrilled!! Insert new goal: run the whole thing without stopping and finish in under an hour.

I kept thinking about my husband, Tommy, and friend, Brad, who were running ahead of me. I was also thinking of all the awesome people waiting for me at the finish line: Erica, Trisha and my parents. And my awesome music mix on my iPod was helping as well. At mile 4.5, I started getting real tired. The hills were insane and it was starting to get really warm out. About that time I was running 10 minute miles. Then I saw Brad running towards me to meet me and cheer me on. He told me there wasn't much left and that I was doing great. Oh my gosh how this helped me! I started running faster and faster, totally underestimating how much of the race was left.

I finished the race at 1hr 3 minutes! I didn't make my last goal of finishing in under an hour but I did run the entire things without walking and that, to me, was really great. The sense of accomplishment and pride I felt after running and overcoming all the doubt in my head was amazing. I was thrilled and almost moved to tears when my husband, parents and friend ran up to me to congratulate me. I know 6.2 miles doesn't seem like much but I am not a natural runner and used to despise it. I love running now and find it therapeutic. I have so much more energy and feel better about myself after running. I never thought I'd ever say the words "I love running!"

As for Brad and Tommy...they both did absolutely amazing! Brad finished in 43 minutes and Tommy finished in 51 minutes. I think the running bug has bitten us now! We were talking about half marathons next year. I think we might try to find one out of town so we can make a little trip out of it.

Here are a few photos taken from my phone on Sunday


Tommy crossing the finish line (grey shirt & white shorts)

race04

Me crossing the finish line (yellow shirt & black capri's)

race03

Tommy and I with my amazing parents

race02

with my girls: Erica (and baby Stone) & Trisha

IMAG0031


Tommy and I

race05

Brad, Tommy and I

race01

IMAG0034



Cheers,
Lynsey

5 comments:

Maria said...

That is awesome Lynsey!!! Congratulations!

Julia Goolia said...

badass!! Congrats, lady.

Mary said...

Congrats, Lynsey! The hills WERE killer and it was pretty warm and sunny. I am impressed that you ran such a fast race after taking so much time off. Have you thought about PT for your back? I do think it helped me, at least now I know what the problem is and I can wear my belt to let my back heal. Maybe I'll see you at another race soon!

Katie said...

I am so proud of you!! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on but I will definately be there for the next one!! Great Job!!

Chicken Recipes said...

I followed your blog nice.
Keep it up.
Thanks for share.


Labels

Contact

Email me at info@lt-photos.com

About This Blog

Novice photographer. Expert fashionista. Creative chef.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP