March 7, 2011

Garden Plans

To say I'm excited about my garden is a huge understatement. I cannot be more freaking excited!!! Tommy is not feeling so stellar about it but alas, he agreed in a weak moment, so it's happening. And I promise you the man will not complain when he's eating the fruits [and vegetables] of my labors. Literally.

I had a few questions asking about what I'm planting and for some inspiration pics. I literally love all fruits and vegetables and if I had it my way [and thought it was realistic for us to eat it all], I would be planting everything!

I found the majority of my information from the University of Illinois' Garden Guide here and about herbs here.

The goods:
  asparagus
  cucumbers
  spinach
  squash
  zucchini
  bell peppers
  tomatoes
  green beans
  cucumbers
  lettuce
  and possible onions and garlic - still undecided

I'll also be planting an assortment of herbs in pots and will keep them on our deck. I don't want to take up valuable space in my raised beds with herbs. I've grown basil and chives in the past and honestly, a little goes a long way. I've gotten rid of all our dried herbs and have been buying all fresh. Very excited to have fresh lavender and lemon verbena to freshen up the house!

Herbs:
  basil
  chives
  dill
  lavender
  mint
  parsley
  thyme
  rosemary
  lemon verbena

On a personal note, I am very thankful to have my dad's guidance as he had a garden several years ago and knows so much about it. He is also making all the raised beds for me and helping me to time out the planting process. He knows so much about planting and fertilizing that I know I couldn't do it without him and it's just another fun thing to do with my dad.  I really wish my Grandpa Joe was around to offer his guidance. I remember walking through his garden and eating tomatoes like apples with him! Every summer I would help pick the green beans we would make for dinner and the memories I have of the time spent in his garden with him will forever be invaluable. I remember having an assembly line in the basement and canning tomatoes and peppers. I am really hoping to do that this fall as well if my garden thrives like I'm praying it will! I think he would be so excited to see me carrying on his green thumb [hopefully!!] of planting an organic garden. I am so thankful to have those memories and I hope my children will have those memories with us and my dad someday too.

Now onto my inspiration photos!




How adorable is that little gate??

And just a pretty pic of all the fruits and vegs I'm going to have!!


That's all about the garden for now. Hopefully next time I mention it on here, it will be real, live photos of MY garden! Yes!

Cheers,
Lynsey


1 comment:

Mary said...

Those pictures are so inspirational! We have been talking about our yard (which is a disaster) and our future raised vegetable garden. It's going to take a lot of work, but we're determined to have a nice yard to spend time in this summer and fall. You are ambitious with your vegetable and herb plans, but it sounds like you have a very experienced gardener to help you!

Have you seen this computer program?

http://www.growveg.com/Default.aspx

I think I'm going to use it to help me plan my garden beds. I am a novice, so I need all the help I can get. I bookmarked the sites you posted, so thanks for sharing!


Labels

Contact

Email me at info@lt-photos.com

About This Blog

Novice photographer. Expert fashionista. Creative chef.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP