March 16, 2011

"If you like pina coladas..."

In December, we went to paradise. Literally, paradise. I am in awe of just how amazing this vacation to the Dominican Republic really was. We went with Trisha and Adam, whom I adore, and we had the times of our lives! We laid on the beach everyday, drank fruity drinks, local beer and smoked cigars. We also went zip lining, on a safari through the country, to a local cigar factory for a tour and fresh cigars and took long walks on the beach [insert cheesy Bette Midler song here].

Tommy and I had never been on a plane together. In eight whole years! We didn't take a honeymoon because I started the job from hell days after our wedding (I'm talking about my CPA days, not this job...I lovelovelove this job!). We never went anywhere in college because we're savers and wanted a down payment for our house and other nice things to put in it...like furniture, food, hair products (Yeah I spend a lot on hair products), etc.  We would take stay-cations which were a week or so off work to build a deck or paint, thus, no real vacations ever.

I worked my butt off in 2010. I started a successful photography business [toot, toot]. It was a year for learning and growing personally and professionally. I seldom talk about Tommy's job much on this blog so here it goes...he works his ass off. He has done very well in his company and has been promoted despite his young age. He loves his job and works hard at it, so this man deserved this vacation as much as anyone. (And he is totally Chandler Bing because I have no idea what he really does. I know he sometimes works from home, takes conference calls, flies to KC and Chicago for the day sometimes and dresses very cute for work, but aside for that. Not 100% sure.) That being said, we decided to reward ourselves for a successful year in a big way.

Alright, so I'm sure no one read all of that anyway and just moved on to the gorgeous photos.

Disclaimers:
1. There are a lot of pictures.
2. I was overly paranoid and didn't bring my big fancy camera. Instead I brought my Flip and my baby Canon.
3. Oh and some of the photos were taken in a moving safari bus and most some were taken while under the influence of Dominican rum. Just sayin....



DR_01

The tiny airport

DR_02

Our hotel room

DR_06

DR_04

DR_05

DR_03

First night out

DR_08

DR_09

DR_10

My husband

DR_07

The next day we were up bright and early to get our spot on the beach

DR_11

DR_12

Little overcast but still gorgeous...

DR_18

This was my view for the next week! 10 bonus points if anyone can name the book I'm reading :)

DR_14

DR_15

Does anyone watch Sunny? Adam was saying "I can go wider"

DR_16

DR_17

Out for dinner and drinks

DR_20

DR_21

DR_19

The next day we went on a Safari around the country. It was 8 hours in a Safari truck, driving around, drinking rum and Presidente. It was absolutely my favorite thing we did down there. To see a country like that was amazing. Everyone had to little (by American standards) and were so happy. Just happy to be alive and well. I thought I would feel sad seeing their small, open homes but I didnt feel bad for them at all because no one felt sorry for themselves. Everyone worked hard and lived like it was their last day...it was amazing! The only thing that really brought tears to my eyes were the amount of stray dogs. It was heartbreaking. Some were so thin and looked just sickly and that is something I cannot handle well.

DR_23

DR_22

DR_26

A Dominican gas station

DR_24

DR_25

DR_27

DR_28

DR_45

Cigar factory

DR_30

DR_29

Tommy thoroughly enjoying a fresh cigar

DR_31

Of course drinks that evening

DR_32

DR_35

Our favorite waiters at the Japanese restaurant!

DR_33

DR_34

The next day we drove around the country again only this time it was to go zip lining. If I look scared like I'm going to shit my pants in the before photos, it's because I was. I was so nervous to go on the zip lines.

DR_36

DR_37

DR_38

DR_39

DR_40

DR_41

DR_42

DR_43

DR_44

DR_45

All four of us on the bus on the way back. This was one of the my favorite parts of the trip. We were drinking rum and coke and had to drink them fast because it was so bumpy. Everytime the cups were empty, they'd refill...it was so much fun!

DR_46

This is our Russian friend, Ivan.

DR_47

No, I dont really know his name but I took a picture of him because we thought he looked like Kenny Powers from East Bound & Down...

Kenny-Powers02

Kenny-Powers

Later that afternoon, we went back to the beach! I have to say that the Dominican had the softest, whitest sand. Oh and the water was that beautiful, teal-ish blue you see in the movies!

DR_48

Some impressive works the kids at the resort next to us did

DR_49

DR_51

DR_50

DR_52

Dinner. Tommy insisted on wearing an obnoxious Charlie Sheen shirt circa Two and A Half Men. Eh..it's vacation afterall

DR_54

DR_53

DR_55

Pipes

DR_56

DR_57

The next morning we were at the beach bright and early to see sunrise

DR_58

DR_59

My current computer background...

DR_60

The pool we only visited once when it was raining. We just sat under the bar and drank until it passed. We sat on the beach every other day!

DR_61

With my gorgeous best friend!

DR_63

with my husband...

DR_62

DR_64


DR_70

DR_71


Instax fun at dinner

DR_65


My cigar of choice for the trip

DR_66

DR_72

DR_73


On our last day in the Dominican, we walked out to the beach before we headed out to the airport for one last bit of sun and the ocean

DR_69

Note the European in the speedo to the right...

DR_68

DR_74

DR_67


That's our trip in a nutshell and a photo dump. It was amazing and I am very happy to announce that we are going BACK to the same resort with 3 other couples (Trisha and Adam included) this July! Yahtzee!

Cheers,

Lynsey



follow me on Twitter
like me on Facebook
follow my photos at LTP blog

5 comments:

Trisha said...

No post EVER has made me this happy! I can wait to honeymoon in paradise with you guys (and Adam)!

PS - you chose some if my favorite photos...so for that I thank you. Let's see if Adam can go wider in July!

Love you best friend!

Maria said...

Jeff & I went to the DR in 2009 and we LOVED it. So much better than Mexico in our opinions. Your pics brought back memories. Thank you for sharing them!

Meredith said...

Oh my gosh, every part of your trip looks AMAZING!

N. said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation. No wonder you're going back!

Mary said...

You and Tommy are so cute! You definitely deserved a fantastic vacation after working so hard all these years. I've never been to the DR, but it looks really gorgeous. Even your baby Canon shows that! I'm jealous that you're already planning to go back. It will definitely make time go by faster to have something to look forward to!


Labels

Contact

Email me at info@lt-photos.com

About This Blog

Novice photographer. Expert fashionista. Creative chef.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP