March 21, 2011

Our New Garden

I'm happy to announce that my garden beds are in! It was a lot of work and we were all exhausted afterwards but it was well worth it. It looks so cute! We ended up doing two 4x4 beds and my dad came up with the idea to make a grid over the boxes out of narrow boards in order to keep all my different crops divided. Plus, I think it looks really cute.

My dad is amazing. No really. He did so much work and wouldn't even let me buy him lunch! He is so knowledgable, about literally everything, and I feel so lucky to have him living less than 10 minutes away. We're very close and I appreciate all he does for me...I'm very lucky when it comes to my amazing parents!
I have to give a huge pat on the back to Tommy for all the hard work he did. For someone who was really opposed to a garden, he worked his butt off to help. We had to dig out the grass because our yard has a slope near the back and it was a lot of hard labor that I am just not strong enough to do. I promised to cook lots of his favorite meals and scratch his back in return. Ah the compromises of marriage.


garden-1

My dad was a rockstar when it came to the soil. Seriously. It's a loose, organic mixture of vermiculite, composted cow manure, mushroom compost, and peat moss

garden-28

garden-29

garden-30

garden-3

garden-31

Here's my dad putting the mixture together

garden-11

garden-8

And Tommy doing lots of manual labor worthy of a good meal and a back scratching :)

garden-9

garden-10

garden-4

Sweet little Ruby and Ozzy and my Mama supervised...

garden-16

garden-20

garden-21

garden-33

I didn't take a ton of photos of the building process since I was doing a lot of the work but here is the finished product! I think it looks so cute!!
garden-13

garden-14

garden-41

And of course, my sweet little Keller came over to help the boys out and was working hard with Ozzy on his tricks. It was so sweet! Ozzy just loves him

garden-43

garden-46

garden-47

My new favorite photo of our Ozzy-babe. I think he has Edward Cullen eyes in this photo!

garden-60

garden-62

Then I got some pics of Keller helping his Uncle Mimi and Pawpaw lay down straw over our freshly planted grass seed. It was so sweet how proud he was to help! I saw him yesterday and he asked how my grass and garden were growing...such a sweet boy

garden-71

He was pushing the metal pins in the ground to hold the straw

garden-72

garden-78

garden-79

And of course Ozzy thought it was all for him so he'd have somewhere to lay down. So spoiled...

garden-82


So far, we've my cold weather plants: shallots, spinach and leaf lettuce. In about a week or so, we should have some fresh, organic produce right in our backyard!


Also, I used Random.org to find a winner for the Blog Giveaway I posted last week. And the winner is N.! Email me at lmholo[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll send your mixed tape (on a cd!) out in the mail to you! Also, thanks to all 5 of you for the comments!

Cheers,
Lynsey



follow me on Twitter
like me on Facebook
follow my photos at LTP blog

4 comments:

Maria said...

Your garden looks great! I can't wait to see how it progresses.

N. said...

It looks fantastic! We want to do something very similar, but haven't started. Yikes! we'd better get on it! Can I borrow your dad? And your husband?

N. said...

Oh! And yea for winning! Can't wait to hear this 'tape.'

Debra said...

AWESOME vegetable boxes! We totally built some ourselves around our patio last weekend, but we have yet to fill em up with dirt. I have no clue about anything gardening, so we will see how succesful we are at getting things to grow. Our little starter box has sprouted everything besides the jalapenos, peppers, and chili peppers. Maybe these are late sprouters?! I'd love it if you post pictures of you garden growing throughout the summer : )


Labels

Contact

Email me at info@lt-photos.com

About This Blog

Novice photographer. Expert fashionista. Creative chef.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP